We are looking to recruit a Laboratory Technician to play a key role in the smooth and successful running of the Science Department in our friendly and highly successful school.
We are looking to recruit a Laboratory Technician to join our friendly and highly successful school.
You will play a key role in the smooth and successful running of the Science Department and work closely with the Head of Department to ensure the department is compliant with all Health and Safety requirements and that there are organised systems in place so that resources are used in an efficient manner.
• Carrying out risk assessments for technician activities (CLEAPSS, HSE, COSHH).
• Preparation of chemicals, solutions, materials and equipment for Science practicals.
• Collection, cleaning and maintenance of equipment and returning to stores.
• Constructing, modifying and checking of apparatus.
• Ensuring the safe storage, maintenance and disposal of chemical waste.
• Conducting or arranging for the maintenance/repair of equipment.
• Trialling experiments, including scholarship mock practicals from previous years.
• Occasionally assisting with class practicals.
• Maintaining and updating Science practical files on PC.
• Placing orders, collecting, checking and distributing deliveries. Filing copies of invoices and monitoring budget spending, in communication with the Finance department.
• Purchasing materials.
• Conducting an annual stock check of all chemicals, equipment and books and maintaining/updating inventories and records.
• Preparation and submission of annual budget request to Finance department – to include a full and comprehensive itemised breakdown of costs.
• Arranging regular update meetings with the Head of Science.
• Providing technical assistance and advice to teaching staff.
• Liaising with outside agencies (e.g. CLEAPSS) to keep up to date with H&S legislation and keeping the Head of Science informed. Advising members of the department of changes in H&S procedures or safety bulletins that are issued.
• Caring for plants and animals.
• Assisting with keeping the prep room and labs tidy.
• Assisting with administrative duties such as photocopying and laminating. Maintaining stocks for the Science department photocopier.
• Attending and participating in staff meetings and training as appropriate.
This is a part-time role working approximately 15 hours per week during term-time, plus a requirement to attend preparation days at the beginning of each term.
A background in Science with a knowledge of handling chemicals is highly desirable but not essential.
Full details of the post and an Application Form can be downloaded from the School Website www.highfieldschool.org.uk/jobs.
A Letter of Application and completed Application Form, including the names and addresses of two referees should be sent to: HR Manager, Highfield School, Highfield Lane, Liphook, Hampshire, GU30 7LQ. Email applications should be sent to email@example.com
Closing date for applications: Friday 27th September 2019
We are an I.A.P.S. co-educational Boarding and Day Pre-Prep and Prep School for approximately 500 pupils aged 3 to 13. We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and applicants are expected to share this commitment. Applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers, the Employer Online Service regarding prohibition orders issued by the Secretary of State and the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS). Highfield and Brookham Schools are an Equal Opportunities Employer.
Add a Vacancy
Any school with a Head in membership of IAPS can add job vacancies to this website. The site is powered by Pressburst – a communications platform developed by Attain in partnership with ISC and the Associations, including HMC, GSA, IAPS and The Society of Heads.