Music Teacher (part-time)
Wimbledon Common Prep School
From September 2019, the School wishes to appoint a well-qualified graduate teacher to take up the post of part-time Music Teacher (2 days per week).
This role offers interesting opportunities for the teaching of music and the encouragement of musical gifts, across the age range from 4 to 7.
The successful candidate will be:
• A well-qualified and experienced Junior/Early Years school teacher
• A versatile musician with good keyboard skills
• Able to review the curriculum to ensure that it enables boys to progress and develop musical skills
• Able to manage rehearsals, planning and performances
• Able to choose or arrange music for a variety of levels
• Able to demonstrate competence with IT in and out of the classroom
• Keen to inspire and motivate boys to develop an enthusiasm for music making and to achieve the highest standards
Music in WCPS
All boys receive a weekly class music lesson of 60 minutes. Boys follow a Scheme of Work based on the curriculum of the Voices Foundation. This work is supplemented by a progressive programme of becoming familiar with the orchestra through listening to classical music, concerti, opera, ballet and contemporary compositions. Boys are taught music theory and engage in practical music making and singing.
Boys in Years 2 can begin by joining one of two Recorder Workshops which take place before and after school. This is a popular way to start playing an instrument and each group currently has approximately 20 -25 members.
The School is committed to high quality performance experiences for the boys. Each December the whole School performs in a costumed musical Christmas Church Service. Each Summer term Years 2 perform a costumed and staged musical. There are additional opportunities to perform during class assemblies, Easter and Harvest Celebrations and informal music concerts.
Opportunities for development
This is an exciting and challenging post for a committed and enthusiastic teacher to make a valuable contribution to the further development of a lively department. The successful candidate could explore:
• Integrating the boys who have private music lessons outside of School into the musical life of WCPS
• Developing musical opportunities for the boys in the Early Years Department
• Exploring the possibility of instrumental lessons taking place at WCPS
• Developing a percussion ‘orchestra’
• Completing an annual curriculum review to ensure that the music education in WCPS is progressive and effective
Closing date: Friday 19th April 2019 @ 12 noon
Interviews will be held on Tuesday 30th April 2019
As part of the interview process all candidates will be required to teach an observed lesson. Preparation work in advance of the lesson will be required, and details will be provided prior to interview.
Early applications will be welcome - the interview process may be staged and some interviews held in advance of the closing date if there is large number of applicants for the role.
PLEASE NOTE: Wimbledon Common Prep is fully committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expects all staff to share this commitment. Any offer of employment will be subject to the receipt of an enhanced CRB disclosure, satisfactory references, medical clearance and proof of legal right to work in the UK
Wimbledon Common Prep School
113 Ridgeway, Wimbledon, London, SW19 4TA
- IAPS, ISC
Closing Date: 19 April 2019
Add a Vacancy
Any school with a Head in membership of IAPS can add job vacancies to this website. The site is powered by Pressburst – a communications platform developed by Attain in partnership with ISC and the Associations, including HMC, GSA, IAPS and The Society of Heads.